Hillside Specialist School is a Specialist School for Communication and Interaction in Lancashire for students aged three to nineteen years with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Pupils take part in a wide ranging personalised curriculum. At Hillside Specialist School we have built an eclectic approach to pupils learning, taking into account current theories and methods of teaching. All of our pupils display significant difficulties within the ‘Triad of Impairment’ that is at the heart of the autism. A child’s difficulties in language and communication, social relationships, and rigid patterns of behaviour/thought/interests form major barriers to learning. Our role is to help our pupils to come to terms with, and overcome, these difficulties.
Our School Aims
- Remove/reduce a child’s barriers to learning
- Assist children to develop effective systems of communication and social interaction
- Develop a child’s ability to adapt to, and accommodate change
- Encourage children to positively manage their own behaviour and difficulties
- Provide a broad and balanced curriculum that meets each child’s needs, including access to the National Curriculum
- Provide an environment that fosters care and control of pupils to enhance learning opportunities
- Provide inclusive and transfer opportunities as part of the continuum of education provision
- Work in partnership with parents/carers and other professionals
Please browse the site to gain a better understanding of the school, and what we can offer pupils and families. If you do have any queries or questions, please drop us a line via the contact section on the site.
Thank you for visiting!
School Mission Statement